Re: Zero Emissions Autos

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Zero Emissions Autos
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 09:42:20 -0400
MGers,

        I've been idly reading the emission contributions and
think the electric vehicle is not really a viable alternative to the
present internal combustion engine. I should qualify that, the electric
vehicle using batteries as a source of energy.

        Hydrogen has to be the way of the future - absolutely zero
emissions except water. The oil companies will fight this to the end.
Take a look on the WWW under hydrogen and in particular Ballard Industries
in Vancouver, BC, Canada as an example, and look at the progress of this
company. They have produced a fuel cell (ozmoses, membranes and all that
stuff) that is now successfully being used in a number of urban buses and
have entered into an agreement with Honda and M-B in the development of
this technology. The fuel cell produces electricity that powers an electric
motor - no combustion involved in the process. I think it is a viable
alternative to todays internal combustion engine.

        Now, how can I retrofit my Midget (or Sunbeams) with a fuel cell?

Regards,
Bob

(P.S. I have no personal involvement with Ballard)
Robert A. C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
The "Proper" Sunbeam Man!
1953 Alpine & 1954 90 MK IIA Drophead Coupe and Saloon (+1973 & 1979 Midgets)
See Sunbeams @ BATANS: http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html