Re: Midget brake failure

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Midget brake failure
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 23:07:35 -0500
> More than likely, the brake cylinder seal gave out.
> Brake lines rarely come loose or fail, execpt when they rust

  Bang on. I ripped it out today, and one side of the cylinder is
pouring fluid. The boot is ripped fairly badly as well, which
doesn't help hide it either! (a good thing though)

> I pretty sure that all you will need to do after replacing the wheel
> cylinder is to dry off the brake pad.

  The manuals seem to say replace the brake pads, any insider
information on this? It's not really a big expense...

  As well, side issue, any advantages in getting "better" brake
pads? I finally got the January 1997 MG Enthusiast in, and the
Tandoori Midget (love that colour) has uprated pads done as
part of the upgrade. Hmmm, experiences anyone?

> (if) still fail to get pressure, you will need to have the master
> cylider rebuilt or replaced (an unfortunate project for me this winter also)

  I ws lucky. Pawning through my stack of receipts, it appears
this car had a new master cylinder installed in 1994 by the
PPO. (poor previous owner. Wasn't too mechanically inclined,
and tried hard to keep the car good by paying a pro but ran
out of money fast)

--

/       Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget    /