Re: C/S pulley question

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Subject: Re: C/S pulley question
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:16:11 -0500 (EST)

<< As an alternative to a new/used crankshaft pulley, I was contemplating
 removing the remaining elastomer and filling the void with JB Weld.  The
 net effect of the change would be a one-piece pulley.

 Will this destroy my engine?  I assume the engineers put the damping
 effect into the pulley for a good reason.  Am I wasting my time and
 engine? >>

The purpose of the crankshaft pully - or Harmonic damper - is to dampen the
crankshaft pulses. As the crank rotates, it alternates between being DRIVEN
by the pistons on the power stroke, and DRIVING the pistons on the return
stroke. In one case, the forces on the crank act in a CW direction, and in
the other, in a CCW direction. The outer ring of the damper acts as a
flywheel to smooth out the pulses, while the elastic core absorbs the pulses.
If you make it a solid piece, the engine will experience severe, engine
damaging vibrations.