Re: Why British

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why British
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:12:10 -0500 (EST)
Sorry for the first message.  Sent it accidently.

I am a first generation LBC fanatic.  The cars in my family were strictly
utilitarian, a series of station wagons.  I remember buying "Road & Track" and
reading every word cover to cover.

At 16, 1969, my first car was a  brown 1962 MGA (not the original color).  My
older brother and I immediately stripped it down and painted it (with a
homemade compressor) BRG.  The solid walnut dash my brother made, made it one
of a kind, at least to me.  Unfortunately,  within a year, the crank broke
and the engine sat it pieces on the garage floor for 9 months until we located
a replacement.  I put the new (used) crank in without the benefit of any
machine work or new bearings.  We had to tow it up and down the road in gear to
get the engine to turn over. Left a lot of rubber on the road.  But after it
started the first time it never missed a beat.  Even had some power.

Sorry for the brutality, but hey, I was 17, broke and didn't know any better.
Had already replaced it as transportation , with a 63 VW, so I had to sell it
for the money. Loved to know if it is still around.  Shouldn't be to many MGA's
with a custom Walnut dash.

I now have a 72' or 74', the history is fuzzy, MGB.  I bought it as a project 5
years ago and hope to have it on the road this spring.

I don't know where my interest came from, but I'm hooked for life.