Re: Alternator conversion

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Alternator conversion
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 21:42:45 -0500 (EST)
Ulix:

FWIW, a GM Delco alternator is only slightly larger than a Lucas alternator.
I just did a "quick-and-dirty" measurement - the lucas is about 6", and the
GM is less than an inch larger in diameter. Only two wires are required to be
run to the unit, and one jumper at the unit. You should be able to make the
electrical portion of the mod with no difficulties, with only minor harness
mods. I know that's true for Triumphs, but I am not familiar with Sprites.
The mechanical aspects I don't think would be too hard, but would probably
require some fabrication.

I am using one in my TR6, but it is mounted on a Ford 5.0 engine (it is still
under construction). I think I paid about $40 for it (a rebuilt unit) with no
exchange at the local parts store.

If you should choose to go with this unit, give me a holler, and I will help
you with the wiring changes (you will need to snail-mail me a copy of the
wiring diagram, and I will e-mail you instructions for making the change - no
charge).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN