Re: Parallel batteries (was Ignition light on at idle?)

To: gardner@lwcomm.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Parallel batteries (was Ignition light on at idle?)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 12:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

<<     I have my idle set about 975 or 1000 when warm, and when I pull
 up to a light, the ignition light will flicker on, and then stay on.
 When I pull away, the light goes out and all is well. >>

Scott:

That's normal. The alternators in these cars are on the anemic side.

<<   BTW, does anybody know of a 12V battery that will fit in the
       small 6V wells in the early B's, that has both side- and top- mount
       fastenings?  I want to put in a second battery in parallel, and the
       job would be much easier if I could connect the two batteries
       together using the side-mount posts, and then connect the
       passenger-side battery to the car's electrical system with the cables
       that are in there now.>>

If you do this, be sure to add a battery isolater, available at most
recreational vehicle supply shops. Why? If one battery goes bad, and it will
sooner or later, then the other battery will try to charge it. There is
nothing to limit the current, and if the bad battery voltage is very low, the
good battery can charge with sufficient current to cause a melt down, and
maybe a fire.

The next question is why would you want to do this? I can think of only two
valid reasons:

1) you want the extra capacity for starting,

2) you want to be able to run accessorys with the engine off, and still have
power to start the car.

There are plenty of 12 volt batteries that will fit, and have enough capacity
that you don't need two batteries for starting. If for the second reason,
then the isolator is required, otherwise, both batteries will discharge.

If you are wanting to do this just to have more capacity to operate high
power stereo, or other equipment, with the car running, it won't do the job.
You can't get more power out of your batteries than the alternator can
supply. Sooner or later, the batteries will run down, and need an external
recharge. If you need more capacity, a larger alternator is required. There
are several alternators available that will provide the extra power, and they
are very easy to hook up. I am familiar with the GM unit, and can help you
with the electrical part, if you wish to go that route (I can't help with the
mounting, though. There are several others on this list that can help here,
and can offer other units that will fit).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN