Re: Visor clips

To: Jamey Harris <jameyh@charles.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Visor clips
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 06:45:33 -0500
Jamey Harris wrote:

> I'm trying to replace the visor clips and glove-box lock on my '79 B.
> Both are riveted on.
>
> 1. How do I get them off (hacksaw?)?

No - use a drill bit.  Get either a 1/8" or 3/16" bit, depending on the
size of the rivets.  Drill out the center.  When the rivet starts
spinning in the hole (and it will) angle the drill bit slightly.  The
head will come off and stay on your drill bit, you can push the core of
the rivet through the hole and then reattach.

> 2. Can I replace the rivets with screws when I put the new ones on, or do
> I need to rivet them back on?

Windshield frame is thick enough to drill and tap for screws.  Just be
careful, if you contact the glass inside the frame, you crack the
glass.  Not a good thing.

>    a. If I have to rivet, how much will the necessary equipment cost
> (rivet-gun?), and what else will I need it for?

You should be able to buy a kit with a decent rivet gun and assorted
rivets for under $20.  Get the one that looks like it's made of casting
rather than the pressed sheet metal - much better quality.  If you do
much work on your LBC, you'll find a lot of rivets in various places.

--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube              wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB                http://web2.airmail.net/wkube