worn camshaft?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: worn camshaft?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 00:39:34 +0000
Actually, I lied.  There is one aspect of my car's running condition
that has me a little perplexed.
    I rebuilt the carburetor (Weber 32/36 dgv), and despite my best
efforts to tune and time the engine, the idle is a little 'lumpy'.
(It was lumpy before the rebuild, also).   In addition, I have the
following symptoms:
1)  A constant valve clatter, even right after
adjusting them all.
2)  When I was adjusting the valves, I noticed
that some of them were opening further than others, by a visible
amount.
3)  The engine's a little low on 'oomph', with a noticeable
lag when I floor it.
4)  Oil pressure seems a little low - 15-20 psi at idle, and 50-55 at
3000 rpm.  NO oil leakage, though.
5)  The engine doesn't really want to idle below 950-1000 rpm.

Are these signs consistent with one (or more) worn camshaft lobes
and/or bearings?

BTW, The entire ignition system is brand new, and didn't alter the
symptoms at all.

As for the Union Jack paint thread, I've never seen a car painted all
over with the Union Jack, but I went to school with a fellow that had
one painted on the roof of his Mini Cooper.  Before that, he had the
car painted taxi-cab yellow with a black-and-white checkerboard on
the roof.  Both schemes looked very sharp.
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner