Re: Pondering resurrection of MGB -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, rubicon8@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Pondering resurrection of MGB -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:44:07 -0400

>>> MICHAEL J ROBSON <miker15@juno.com> 05/16/97 11:00pm >>>

Two slight disagreements,   2) tyres are the very last job
- when everything else is finished and then only if theyre worn out!!

mike robson

I agree with Mike, the post from Larry was excellent.  I have two
comments to add:

1)  Replace every liquid in the car.  Some folks have already mentioned
the gasoline - dump it.  Oil is changed at miles/monthly intervals
because it will deteriorate over time.  7 years is long enough for the
oil in the crankcase to have lost most of what you buy it for.  Likewise
the coolant - it's still wet, but the anti-freeze will have lost its
rust-resistance and lubricating capacity.  Ergo, you may have some rust
in there as well.  Drain the cooling system, flush it (with the
appropriate cleaner, not just water) and refill it with happy new
anti-freeze/water.  You will have already replaced all the brake (and
clutch) hydraulic fluid because you're going to replace all the hoses
and stuff.  (Did Larry mention the rubber seals in the brake cylinders?
They fall apart after awhile too.)  Since the oils in the transmission
and differential are not exposed to combustion gases they last a lot
longer, but it sure doesn't take much time to service these, and you'll
know when it was last done.

2)  Don't listen to Mike.  Replace the tires.  Having worked in a tire
shop, I can tell you with experience that a tire that's sat unused for a
long time tends to dry and crack.  A normal tubless tire will leak air
slowly, but if it has cracks from dryrot, it may blow out instead.
While the brakes are the most important thing on the car, they won't do
much for you if they don't have tires to talk to the asphalt for them.
Please don't tempt a blowout.  It can make the difference between
admiring the trees and having one as a hood ornament.

3)  (Okay, I think slowly)  Buy a manual.  It's very comforting to sit
at your kitchen table and read the procedures you're going to go through
before you actually do them.  And of course, step by step instructions
are invaluable.  It's always the first thing I buy for a new car (or a
new old car).