Distributor advice

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distributor advice
From: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 21:42:50 -0500 (EST)
First thanks for the info on the bonnet release.  somehow the hole got taped
over prior to the car being painted.  The firewall appeared solid.  I found the
the hole and the release is installed.

Now on to the distributor. I have never had the engine running since I brought
the car home 5 years ago.  This summer looks real promising.
I have a 25D4 dist.  I am replacing points, condensor etc.  and thought I might
as well pull it off the engine and go over the whole thing.  Both Haynes and
the Official MG service manual say to check the end float of the driveshaft and
the shaft clearance in the body bushes.

First do they mean in and out movement or side to side movement.  The
driveshaft does not move side to side but does move in and out 15 thousandths.
Do I need a new thrust washer or is this acceptable?

I have no clue how to check the shaft clearance in the body bushes.

The manuals also say to check the weights (among other things) There is some
play in the weights on the studs they pivot on.  Should they be replaced?
Would the wear be all in the weights or also on the pivot studs?

There are two holes approx 1/16" in the bottom of the dist housing 180 degrees
apart.  Should they be open or plugged?  Do distributors have to breath?

Finally should there be a gasket or some type of sealant between the Dist body
and engine?

Thanks in advance.

74 B on jack stands soon to be on the road!