Re: MGB Reliability

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, MLishego@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB Reliability
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 20:34:25 +0000
MLishego@aol.com wrote:

> NO SIR, you are not a heretic!  I couldn't agree with you more!  These cars
> require quite a bit of time and maintenance, not to mention understanding.
>  If you couldn't stand to have a car whose turn signals only worked when the
> fan was on, you'd hate an MGB.
> Now, after that rant, I think I can tell you why.  I read somewhere, maybe
> here, maybe online, that the British are different car owners than Americans.
>  They like (Or maybe 'liked to') work and fiddle with their cars.  So, BL put
> in the dual carbs that needed to be adjusted every two weeks or so.  The
> British people liked to have a working relationship with their cars, and I'm
> sure that everybody on the list has the same relationship.
> I hope that I didn't offend any of our English brethren, I was trying to
> paraphrase something that I read before.  This may not be the case, but
> somebody wrote it, and it stuck with me...Please don't flame me!
> ~Mike

A relationship brought about by lack of money, hence cars for the masses were
built
down to a price, hence a certain mechanical ability was a necessity.

In the 60s all my circle of mates were relatively mechanically competant
because the
only way we could get mobile was in old bangers and I thought nothing of it.
It still
surprises me when I come across someone of my generation who knows nothing
about cars,
although it seems pretty universal for more recent generations, who don't even
notice
bits falling off, strange noises or funny red and orange lights.  Judging by
coversations at work the lack of any practical ability in home, car or garden
is all
too common in men these days.  I blame wimmins lib for emasculating them.

PaulH.