Re: Ignition light comes on

To: bearlock@erols.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ignition light comes on
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 11:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-01 10:28:44 EDT, bearlock@erols.com (Bob De Weese)
writes:

> Took a ride last night and on the way home I noticed that the ign. light
>  was very dimly lit at idle.  When RPMs increased, it when out.  Didn't I
>  read somewhere that the light marked "Ignition" is the idiot light for
>  the charging system?

Bobby:

That's perfectly normal! At idle, particularly with the lights on, these
little alternators just don't have the oomph to keep up.

> Also, I'm planning on installing a REAL gauge for the charging system.
> Any suggestions on brand and mounting location?

I strongly suggest you use a voltmeter, rather than an ammeter. There are
merits to both types, but a voltmeter is much easier (and safer for an
amateur) to install. As to brands to use, I don't know of any that will match
the gauges now in your car. I guess I would use either VDO or Autometer. The
choice between these two would be based upon your preference for appearance.
Voltmeters are extremley easy to install, and come with complete
instructions.

As far as location, anywhere that is convenient, and easy to read. Just be
sure that it is not blocked from view by the steering wheel. The console is a
good location.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/