Amazing gas mileage!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Amazing gas mileage!
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is2.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:17:32 -0300 (ADT)
I just went on about a 750 mile trip in my '72 MGB, for a job interview (
and for a conjugal visit).  Before I left, I had been getting about 26
mpg (imp., 31 mpUSg.).  I did some tuning, but the only major change was
that I leaned the carbs back a bit (used Colortune).  On the next tank I
got the same (27 mpg), but the second tank, I got 39 MPG! (47mpUSg) I
thought there was a problem with my fuel guage, when the odometer was
reading 200miles and it was just under a half tank.  I added 7 litres and
kept going until 340 miles on the odometer!  I couldn't believe it.

Explaination?  The only diference I could see between the last two tanks
was, I may have kept my speeds below 65 mph, and it was 8-10 degrees
celcius warmer, most of the second tank.  The temperature gauge usually
hangs out just below normal, but on the warm day ( I drove about 280
miles) it was at normal or slightly above.

I have been using mostly 89 octane fuel.

   / ______/        |   |  Greg Johnson      * See the British Automobile
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.            Touring Assoc. of NS
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dal. University                     Home Page!*
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
                 www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/BATANS/