Re: Carb needling -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Carb needling -Reply
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:28:07 +0000
William Eastman wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> Clearing the carbs, also called clearing the plugs, means to rev the engine
> up after it has been idling for a while.  High performance engines in
> particular don't like to idle for long periods of time.  The idle gets
> lumpier and lumpier until the engine dies.  I don't think that the carbs
> are actually getting backed up. My guess would be that the rich, cool
> mixture slightly fouls the plugs and increasing the rpm heats them up and
> clears them, hence the second, less common name.  Most LBC manuals
> recommend reving the engine occasionally while setting the idle or to
> "clear the carbs (plugs)."
>
> As far as tuning a pair of SU's,  I think that the most important first
> step is to get the two carburators set the same.  This is where standard
> tuning procedures work great.  The old "lift the dashpot" aproach will
> probably give fairly consistent results for a good starting point.
> Personally, I took my dashpots off and measured the position of the needles
> and seats and set them at the same point for both carbs using a dial
> calipers.  I then lifted the dashpots to get them as close as I could.
> After that, I am still fine tuning but I always adjust them both the same
> amount.  I just leaned them a flat two weeks ago because its warmer
> outside.  I am considering leaning them another flat now to improve the
> idle.  Read the plugs to judge the overall state of tune since you do not
> want to go lean under power.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Eastman
> 61 MGA

About two years ago (7 - 8k miles) I re-synched the carbs on the
roadster from first principles, it took an hour or more.  Last year I
didn't touch the carbs at all, except possibly idle speeed (both screws
the same amount).  This year I replaced plugs and points, reset the
timing, took a deep breath and checked the carbs.  Not only was the sync
nigh-on perfect but the mixture was too.  Just had to back off the idle
a tad.  Aren't SUs supposed to go off tune?

PaulH.