Re: distributor dog alignment, oops...

To: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: distributor dog alignment, oops...
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 16:35:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Craig Wiper wrote:

> I just had to reply to the group about this. I just posted an email stating
> that one could reposition the distributor dog etc...

> With the aforementioned problem, I jumped right in and stated that, sure,
> you can reverse the distributor dog. But, had I been paying attention, or
> really researching the situation, I would have found that the solution was
> much easier; just a quick roll of the car to reposition the rotor for the
> proper stroke and then a wire reroute.

I may be missing something here.  I'm not intimately familiar with B's,
but typically the off-center dog only lets you remove and replace the
distributor without the 180 degree error.  But that presupposes that the
lower part of the distributor drive is properly engaged with the gear
that drives it.  If not, the off center dog is in the wrong position, and
it reliably ensures your distributor is in the wrong position.  I suspect
you will find in the shop manual instructions as to how the lower drive
should be installed.  If it is wrong, the fix is often as simple as
pulling it out, rotating it, and re-engaging the gear.

WRG

   W. R. Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                  gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8629