Re: Hot Light Switch

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: Hot Light Switch
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 22:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-30 17:43:49 EDT, tboicey@brit.ca (Trevor Boicey)
writes:

>   I guess my roundabout question is really asking if my switch
>  is making a poorer connection than it should, leaving a larger
>  resistance and a greater source of heat.

Trevor:

Yes. No switch should ever be too hot to touch comfortably. Either the
internal contacts are not clean and smooth enough, or the wire terminals are
not making good contact with the switch terminals (assuming you have not
overloaded the switch with high power lights). Also, it is possible that the
wires are corroded in the vincinity of the switch. Corrosion eats the wire,
reducing its cross sectional area, raising the resistance. A number 8 wire
can be reduced to a number 18 through corrosion. Corrosion usually occurs at
the terminals.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74