Waxoyl application

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Waxoyl application
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 09:07:04 -0500
Having just lived through an application this weekend, I feel qualified to
give some pointers.

First, you have to heat the stuff to get it to flow.  I let mine sit in the
utility sink full of hot water for about 20 minutes before I used it.  Then
I filled a five gallon plastic bucket with hot water about 3/4 of the way
up the waxoyl container and left it sit in the hot water the entire time
that I was spraying the car.  Also, the end of the sprayer is adjustable so
you can open it a bit to get more flow.

After doing the easy stuff such I was ready for inside the rockers.  I
tried attaching the long tube and Waxoyl just dribbled out.  I opened the
container and thinned the Waxoyl with mineral spirits by what I judged to
be 10-20%.  After purging the lines, I got sufficient flow to do the
rockers.

Specific to an MGA, I removed the front and back splash panels fro access
to the inside of the fenders.  I also loosened the bottome of the rear
fenders to allow crud to get out and the Waxoyl to get in.  I shoud have
done the same for the front but I was too lazy.  I also removed one rear
post cover (the one under the door striker) but that gave me no more access
to the rocker area and looked relatively free of debris so I put it back on
without treating the area.

I used almost all of the starte kit on the A.  I kept a plastic tarp under
where I was working to catch the drips.  The Waxoyl does not continue
dripping after application, though so you can get by with a relatively
small plastic sheet.  Keep something around to wipe off your glasses or you
will be blind before too long.  To clean up, I first removed the pickup
tube from the pump and reinstalled the pump on the Waxoyl can, pumped up
pressure, and blew all of the remaining waxoyl out of the wand and the
exension.  Do this before it has a chance to cool off and you will be
happier.  I then used mineral spirits and brake cleaning fluid to clean
everthing.  I then took a long, hot shower including washing my hair twice
to get the stuff off my body.  I Threw the plastic tarp and Waxyoyl
drenched rag away rather than trying to clean them.

After that, just get used to the smell because it's going to be with you
for a while.  After three days with the garage doors open and three long
drives, my garage still smells like kerosene if the door is left closed for
more than five minutes.

On a more general note, I bought a roll of landscaping plastic film that
was 8 feet wide and, I believe, 4 mils thick about ten years ago for 20
bucks.  This stuff has been a godsend because you can cut what you need to
cover areas and then throw it away rather than deal with the mess.  I
bought black but I believe that it is available in clear also which would
make it easier to find dropped parts.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA Waxoyled and ready!