Re: Sill replacement with Oxy-Acet, techniques?

To: atravis@spacey.net
Subject: Re: Sill replacement with Oxy-Acet, techniques?
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 20:03:50 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-07 16:16:41 EDT, atravis@spacey.net (Aron Travis)
writes:

> DANMAS@aol.com wrote:
>  > The unit I have, a Cebora from Daytona Mig, has
>  > that problem. I have to use a piece of foam rubber, carefully adjusted,
>  > apply pressure to the feed wheel to keep the wire flowing smoothly. The
>  > original pressure adjuster didn't work very long..
>
>  Can you elaborate on this? I sometimes have feed problems too.

Aron:

Yes, be glad to.

On my unit, the spool is held onto the spool shaft with a snap-on plastic
holder and a spring. For some reason, after a few usages, the spring was too
stiff, and the spool would not turn from the force of the wire feed wheels.
Rather than looking all over trying to find just the right spring, I cut up a
few pieces of foam rubber, about 1/4" thick (just because that's what I had
on hand). I kept adding pieces till the tension on the spool was just right,
under the plastic snap-on.

It's been a while since I used the unit, so I imagine I would need to make
adjustments, as the foam has surely compressed by now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real problem were not the feed wheels becoming
slick over time and not having enough friction to power the wire against the
original spring. When I start doing the body work on the TR5.0 (soon, I
hope), I will look into the problem again, and maybe come up with a more
permanant fix. When I added the foam, I needed the welder right then, and
didn't have time to look into it.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74