Brit Run to Pikes Peak

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brit Run to Pikes Peak
From: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:36:00 -0600
Today Carol Risz, Bill Early and Lucy, Barney Gaylord, my son Brandon and
I made the trip to the top of Pikes Peak; 14,110 feet above sea level.
We even met another MGB driver that was as surprised as we were to see
other MGs at the top.

We were blessed with pleasant temperatures and blue skies dotted with
billowy white clouds.  The road to the top is mostly dirt, some short
sections are paved.  All of our cars made it but they all screamed "I
need air" at about 12,000 feet.  But even then we out performed some of
the modern iron.

The ever adventurous Barney insisted on some photo shoots that required
parking our LBCs on the edge of sheer cliffs, (Barney those pictures
better turn out).   After the photo shoot he hand fed the ugly little
varmints along the road (no they weren't cats!).

The trip down the hill was a bit more spirited.  It seems that LBCs are a
bit quicker at 14,000 feet when they are pointed down hill.  We easily
scooted around the slower vehicles and all met at the bottom of the Peak.

When last seen Barney and Carol were winding their way through the Rocky
Mountains heading south to Texas.  Have a safe trip.

Cheers,

Larry Hoy
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas