RE: Gas Leak...Yikes!!

To: "David Stecher" <DavidAndMichelleS@msn.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Gas Leak...Yikes!!
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 97 00:28:06 UT
Dave,

The gas tank is a pretty straightforward change over.  Unfortunately, if you
purchase a new unit, you have a 73 which is the more expensive "vented" tank
compared to the unvented in my 69 (e.g.,  ball park - $120 vs. $200).  To drop
the tank, first drain it by unscrewing the drain bolt at the bottom of the
tank (avoids potential unpleasant surprises that might accompany a dropped
full fuel tank) and disconnect the various fittings such as fuel line, sending
electrics, filler tube and so on (get a VB or MOSS catalogue for diagram).
Then undo the 8 bolts holding the tank up (4 each side) - these should unbolt
from inside the boot area where you keep the spare tire.  Provided all is
disconnected then the tank should drop right out. Now, get a fiber optic cable
and attach an appropriate light source - if fiber optic is not available use a
flashlight and inspect the tank.  Now chances are you will not see anything
(unless you have large holes) but it doesn't  hurt to check.  At this point
you have three alternatives, 1) get a new tank (most expensive but best), 2)
Have the tank boiled out and welded (almost as expensive as a new tank -
because you will get someone else to do it!!), 3) use the stuff that you pour
into the tank and slosh around that seals small holes (I don't recall what
it's called but it should be less than $20).

>From experience I can tell you about #1 and #3.  #3 is what I used to remedy a
gas leak I had on the 69 Beater - 3 years later it is leaking again.  #1 is
what I used on the 69C Roadster 7 years ago and it is still not leaking.  Both
#1 and #3 require that the tank get dropped!!  IMHO #2 should be used when a
new tank cost $500 (e.g., 62-64 non vented tank) or is unavailable.  My money
is on the new tank unless the SO or budget says otherwise.  BTW, tank dropped
is a good time to check the boot floor and make any repairs to the floor.
Underneath you can degrease and make any repairs as well as prime and/or
undercoat.  Also consider new hardware for putting the tank back up as well as
renewing hoses, sending unit, various seals and/or filler hose as needed.  BTW
this is also a good time to paint the filler neck and get a new filler neck
grommet.  Theses car are fun!!!!!

BTW, before you drop the tank you may want to be sure that the gas is not from
a faulty filler neck/connector connection.

Hope this helps.

Jest another hick living in PA,

Dr. Doug
69 C Roadster (would you believe the aluminum connector on the rack cracked -
never ends)
69 C GT (out of moth balls but still garaged)
69 B Roadster (The MG of many colors - ugly but fun)