Re: speaking of tube shock conversions...

To: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Subject: Re: speaking of tube shock conversions...
From: Eric Zambori <eaz@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 07:33:55 -0700

robert williford wrote:

> still awaiting carb parts for the 73 'b.  have flushed coolant system,
> but can't refill until i fix the broken water outlet stud.  have drained
> the gearbox, but can't refill until i can manage to get the damned refill
> plug loose (two days of futile tugging using a variety of tools---the
> trans & od are from a 79 or 80 model, hence the plug is under the car
> on the side of the transmission...i've been dragging myself across the
> concrete trying to get this thing off!!!)
>
> oh yeah, tube shocks...
>
> the po added a shock conversion that was apparently available from
> moss some time ago.  i believe the manufacturer is kmb(?).  it provides
> a _very_ stiff ride;  not the most comfortable among the numerous
> potholes in columbia sc.  the handling, however, is superb.  even with
> worn a-arm bushings (new ones are coming with the carb parts i've
> ordered), everything feels tight.
>
> has anyone come up with a suitable replacement (other than spax) for
> these shocks?  while i'm not terribly unsatisfied with the kmb(?) shocks,
> i know that they will need to be replaced in the near future.  does
> anyone know of a monroe, gabriel, etc (ie. readily available from a
> local parts store) shock part number that will   1)  fit the system on
> car, and   2)  provide a bit more comfortable ride?  i'm assuming that
> the mounting for the system on my car is the same as the newer
> conversions on the market.
>
> thanks,
> robert williford
> 73 mgb
>
> oh yeah, anyone have any recommendations for removing a broken water
> outlet stud?  1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of stud is protruding from the
> head.  i've tried lots of wd-40 and vise grips, but to no avail.  i
> really don't want to drill, tap, and helicoil, so any advice is very
> welcome.

I've had this problem in the past.  I bought a stud puller from a local
auto parts store.  I think it's made by SK tool.  It uses a 1/2" ratchet
or breaker bar and operates an eccentric cam which tightens against the
stud and loosens the stud as you apply counter-clockwise force.  The
tool is about the size of a tennis ball or maybe slightly smaller and I
think it was about $25 (ten years ago).  This might be the type of tool
that a good parts store would rent out or if your friendly with a
machine shop, they might let you borrow it.
GOOD LUCK!
Eric Zambori
72 MGB