Re: Brake bias

To: phil sims <phil@wilsongriak.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake bias
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 11:20:20 -0400
At 08:40 AM 7/16/97 -0600, phil sims wrote:
>The bad news is that MY rears locked and the back end slid harmlessly about
>45 degrees before stopping.
>
>OK, so do I back off on the rear adjusting screws a click or two, or is
>there more to keeping the light back end rolling during a "panic" stop?
>
>THANKS!

Well, I remember back when Denise Thorpe was still around.  She said that
when you adjust your back brakes, you just turn them clockwise until you
lock up the brakes, and then back off 4 flats, right??  Also, if "click"
means one "flat", then you are wrong.  The adjuster screw is set so that
you can only go two flats, or 180 from original.  Do not turn your adjuster
90 degrees.

As far as not losing the rear end, I have no idea.  My B seems to have a
pretty good weight distribution and it doesn't have any characteristics
like you describe.  I was only able to get the car to slide sideways
slightly the other day, when i had to panic stop while in a turn.  Scary
but cool for a while.

Congrautalations on not having a rear-end collision. If it were me, I would
have rear-ended the fool; or rather this fool would have rear-ended that
fool.  My driving is good, but by Atlanta and Memphis standards.  Memphis
and Atlanta are consistently ranked as the cities with the worst drivers.
Oh, well.