Re: MGB Steering "Heads-up"

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB Steering "Heads-up"
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 15:38:51 +0930
* Lurk mode OFF*

G'Day All,
               this is a note to ask that you all check or have checked a
possible 'problem' that was found on the steering of one of our Club MGB
GTV8 cars.

The owners noticed a change to the 'feel' of the steering, and;
Investigating the cause revealed that the two double sheet metal brackets
that mount the steering rack to the front cross member had broken off-exept
for one section-on-one-side!! Imagine the steering rack breaking away and
loosing all steering? Please add to your list of preventative maintenence
tasks, to have someone rotate your steering wheel while you observe the
steering rack for movement where the brackets are welded to the front cross
member. Remember "Safety Fast" needs proper care and maintenence. I know
that one Swallow don't make a summer but I checked our 1979 B just for
peace of mind.

Their car is a 24 year old factory V8 which has covered 150,000 miles, many
on 6 inch Mag wheels, the car has never suffered accident damage, this was
the factory welding and brackets that fractured and broke off.

Please take a peek at your steering rack, and let your club members know
about this advice, TIA.

Regards,

John[Scotty]Scott,
Adelaide,Australia.