Lots o' stuff

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lots o' stuff
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:20:48 -0500
Bob Allen Wrote:

<<<When you reach that occasional pentacle of maintenance when both the
mechanicals and bodywork have attained relative perfection, and if your
mate queries as to what else might be needed, you never, ever, say
"nothing."  (snip)

You can help diagnose the weird caster/camber phenomena on the
IRS  as you get escorted back to the garage.>>>

You are right on both counts.  I must admit that I have regreted that
"nothing" answer since it escaped from my mouth.  I know that  from now on
when it is time to repair or upgrade that one little moment of brain
dysfunction will come back to haunt me.

Also, if that IRS is really that bad, I don't know if it would be a good
idea to give you a tow.  After all, although the A has the power to do the
job, I don't know if it has enough weight to stay on the road if that mini
Buick of yours starts flopping around back there like a tasered criminal
;-)

Many also wrote good / bad / ugly about flat fixer goo bottles.  I agree
that it is not the perfect solution but, on the other hand, I have only had
to changed a flat on the road once in the last 15 years so I am not too
concerned about it.  I run tubless (I think, I should probably check to
make sure) on disk wheels so I don't know about wire wheels.  As far as
personal experience goes I have none but lack of knowledge has never
stopped me before.

Jason, concerning your fuel starvation:

If you ever suspect a fuel tank venting problem,  the easiest way to
diagnose this is to loosen the fuel cap while your car is exhibiting
symptoms.  If you hear air whooshing into your tank and the car runs
better, congradulations! You have found your problem.

I also remember a thread a while back about MGB's having a plastic screen
in their fuel pickup line in the tank and that this can degrade causing the
symptoms you describe.  Maybe this is it.

Anyway, If I am late on this and others have answered better, so be it.  I
am on the digest and my computer was loaned out over the weekend.  My modem
had a flat.  The dog ate my homework...

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA