Re: Chroming Prices

To: "Robert J. Donahue" <rdonahue@holli.com>,
Subject: Re: Chroming Prices
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:10:30 -0400
Robert J. Donahue wrote:
> This is costing $180. Is this reasonable? Was chrome plating always this
> expensive, or is this the doing of our arch enemy the EPA?

  It was always expensive. The actual chroming is quick, it's
the polishing that is a lot of skilled manual labour.

  Practical Classics had a good article on this the other month. It
was something like 12 steps to chroming, and the actual chrome was
something like step 11.

> BTW, where has the chrome gone on new cars? Nary a glimmer to be seen. Is this
> a styling thing or a cost thing?

  Probably both. Cost and legislation made chrome a thing of
the past, and being a thing of the past, nobody wants to
try and market a new car with it.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada