Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3000 rpm
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:21:07 -0400
>Adrian:

Did you get Barney's suggestion to check the clamps on the pipe for the
carbs??<

Yes, that was a good one.  I checked them and they are OK

Update:  The engine vacuum measures a constant 18" at about 1000rpm.
I assume that means the engine is in a fairly decent shape.

I tried setting the mixture on the carbs again, as the engine is obviousl=
running weak.  The Haynes book says to use the adjusting nut to raise the=

jet so that it is level with the bridge.  Then unscrew the nut (thus
lowering the jet) by 12 flats (ie two turns down).  Well, that produced a=

very rich mixture with black smoke coming out of the exhaust.  I raised t=
he
jets by 6 flats but still got black smoke.  So I rased them an additional=
 3
flats.  No black smoke so I cleaned the plugs and  took it for a test
drive.  Still the same problem - backfiring, no power over 3000rpm. =

Checked the plugs and they were sooty.
This I don't understand.  Exhaust backfire =3D lean, sooty plugs =3D rich=
=2E
Could it be that the sooty plugs are from incomplete combustion, due to,
say,  an ignition fault.

Oh yeah, I tried using the strobe and reving the engine, as suggested.  T=
he
number of flashes increased as expected and there did not seem to be any
misses.  This was on #1 plug, maybe I should do all the others tomorrow. =
happened to shine the strobe down the carb throat and saw many small fuel=

droplets on the bridge kind of dancing around - this was at an engine spe=
ed
of about 2000rpm.  This was rather unexpected - wouldn't all the fuel be
sucked right into the manifold and into the cylinders?  This was before I=

messed about with the mixture and when the jets were only 1 flat down fro=
the the bridge ie when you would expect a lean mixture, if you see what I=

mean.

Thanks for the post,  I'll let you know what happens next
 =