Can't go over 2500 rpm

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Can't go over 2500 rpm
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:02:46 -0400
Hi Folks,

Geez, I wish I could start a new thread.  Are you all sick of this one ye=
t?

Here's the latest.   In the cockpit,  I hooked up a dwell meter and vacuu=
gauge (spliced into the manifold/ vac advance line) to read  when going f=
or
a test drive.

Dwell meter.  This was rock steady at about 55 degrees  (specs are 60 +/-=

3)  I'll readjust but it looks like the "sparking" side is OK.

Vacuum gauge.  Going down the road at any speed and at any revs with my
foot off the gas, the reading was steady at 22 inches.  Giving it some ga=
the reading was about 10.  Giving it the hoof like you meant to be going
somewhere, the reading was almost on 0 (zero).  When the spluttering and
backfiring started happening, at 2500rpm today and sometimes lower, the
reading was only dependant on how much pressure was on the gas pedal. =

Anybody know what this means?

I had that feeling I wasn't going to make it back home today, it was so
bad.  Giving it the choke helped somewhat.  It was still spluttering and
farting when i pulled into the driveway, so I had a look in the float
bowls.  Both had the same height of gas - about half full.

Unless you can think of something else, I'm taking off the muffler to loo=
for broken baffles.   I'll run it for a while up to 2500 rpm, just to mak=
sure the neighbors are up and out of bed.

I'll examine the carb needles with a magnifying glass.

Any suggestions, no matter how far-fetched will be entertained.

TIA,   Regards,  Adrian      =