Can't get over 3000 rpm -The conclusion

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Can't get over 3000 rpm -The conclusion
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 22:04:01 -0400
Yes Folks!
        Binky Rides Again!!!

Cause of all the pain and anguish - bad manifold gasket!

Here's all the details.  After taking out the carb needles, looking at th=
em
and putting them back, Binky was taken for another test ride.  Same
problem, but this time it was idling rough when I got back home.  Regular=

viewers will recall that Henry, the B.M.F. hammer,  was to make a guest
appearance.  Well, according to the Bentley reprint of the Official
Workshop Manual, a hammer can be used very effectively to short out plugs=

by hooking the the plug wire terminal/spark plug end with the claw of the=

hammer and touching the banging end of the hammer to the engine block.  T=
he
wooden handle, of course, prevents you getting 10 million volts up the ar=
m.
 Shorting out plugs # 1 and 2 did not make any difference to the idle!! =

Wow, a twin cylinder MG.

Reasoning it had to be the front carb, I took them both off for a good
cleaning.  Looking at the engine block, there appeared to be some sort of=

leak - I presume the gas was leaking out and re-dissolving the
oil/grease/crud on the block.  Anyhow, I replaced the gasket, put
everything back together and Binky is now running like a sewing machine
again.  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say I am much relieved to get her back on the road.  Much
thanks to all you people for your encouragement and suggestions - I now
have a much greater understanding of what is going on.

Cheers!          Adrian