Re: exhaust in the air (slightly long)

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: exhaust in the air (slightly long)
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:22:00 +0100
robert weeks wrote:

> I have an odd problem with my '68 midget. I always smell exhaust when I am
> driving it. Is this normal? I don't remember having this problem when I had
> my sprite.

Nope, not normal. It may be that the exhaust is coming back over the
boot but you should check everything else first. If you've had the head
off, then the exhaust manifold may be leaking or the little doughnut
between the manifold and the pipe. Try to block the exhaust outlet of
the Monzas with tennis balls are something. It should either kill the
motor or it'll fight you. If you start hearing a whistling sound, you've
found your exhaust leak.

All of my exhaust leak problems were under the bonnet -- not the
tailpipe.

> One last thing, I am looking for a non-cracked vinyl dash for my Midget, if
> anyone knows where  I can find one please drop me a line (I know it's a
> long shot, but I gotta try)

Sure, right.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6