T-Register Gathering in Binghampton, NY

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: T-Register Gathering in Binghampton, NY
From: Dave Houser <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:41:16 +0000
Just got back from the T-register gathering held this weekend up in
Binghampton, NY with my 53 TD. Great weekend and for a pleasant change a
very large turnout for our fall meet. The Featured car was the Y-type
and there was a total of 19 YA's, YT's and YB's.
All very nice examples and they came from all over the country,including
Colorado and New Mexico. One of the best things about the weekend was
seeing some old friends who hadn't been out with their cars for many
years.
One of the more important GOF dates for next year will be the gathering
up in the Watkins Glen area for the celebration of the 50th Anniversary
at the Glen. This is not to be missed. I believe that all of the MG
clubs(A, B, C, etc.) will be planning something around that event. Maybe
it's going to be another Indy! Bad news is that getting rooms for all
will be near impossible, but if you like camping, what a way to go.
One of the things mentioned at the dinner was the Safety Fast test that
the T-Register had open to all other MG marques at Indy. It was very
successful. The register has a tow-along portable lift that is used to
run an inspection safety check on all systems on and under the car. I'd
certainly like to see my A and B's go through it at our meets. This
weekend I wanted to just have my driveshaft looked at for that scuttle
shake problem I mentioned to all and Rick Smith said let's check
everything since we're here. Good thing! My rear brake line was almost
worn through where it had been rubbing on the screen storage box behind
the rear end. I had replaced the rear with the 4.3 MGA gears and had
that line too close for full suspension travel. Made it home sweating,
but alive after coming past a 6-7 car pileup on RT. 17 in Wurtsboro, NY.
Seems an eastbounder skidded and went over into the westbound lanes and
it looked like a bowling ball knocking car after car aside. Too many
cops, ambulances and fire trucks to count.
Our traffic hit the binders to look and almost caused another accident.
Got home using the brakes very gently and plan to order the necessary
parts tomorrow. Mine was not the most serious problem they found, I'll
let Mike tell you about that.

Check those cars frequently, you never know what's happening under
there,
Dave Houser