Re: WD-40

To: Glen Eldridge <glenel@canis.net>
Subject: Re: WD-40
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:12:27 +0100
Glen Eldridge wrote:

> Hey, folks;  WD40 was originally developed to DRIVE OUT the water from
> electrical bits: WD=wet/dry, and, as such has NO water content.
>
> Seriously, WD4- works like a charm in drying out wet ignition parts and
> other water-logged bits.

Okay, my turn. WD-40 stands for "Water Dispersal, formula 40" so it
displaces water with an oily film. Thus it will protect things from
rusting as it clings to metal parts better than water does.

But it leaves behind a residue and that residue conducts electricity and
attracts dust. So that means 1) it ain't the best stuff on contact
points as it can ground them out and 2) many gun nuts don't like the
stuff as, after atracting a bit of dust and lint, it can become
abrasive.

Having said all of that, I use it often when assembling metal bits and
even hose down the content of the tool bag with it before storing it in
the boot. Just keep in mind what it is good at and what it ain't.

For the distributor, I use contact points cleaner. For the guns, I use
gun oil.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)