Re: wrist pins?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: wrist pins?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 10 Oct 1997 08:59:50 -0500
In <19971010.095714.9543.0.MIKER15@juno.com>, miker15@juno.com wrote:

>So... i went to see a mechanic pal of mine last night and he had a look,
>listen
>and a scratch of his chin whereafter he declared that he believes it to
>be a
>cracked "wrist pin" which apparently is located somewhere in the bowels
>of
>the engine - my friend is strictly an american iron man and was also
>somewhat busy
>installing a v8 in a pontiac so i confess i didnt  fully understand his
>description of the
>malady except that it was another of those
>"sharp-intake-of-breath-that'll-costya"
>conversations that we know and love....
>I looked through all my manuals last night and found no references to
>wrist
>pins per se - anyone have any idea what these are or if the diagnosis
>seems likely?

Ah, yes--Americans and British, tied together by an uncommon language.

Try "gudgeon pins" or something like that.  This is the doobie that
attaches the piston to the connecting rod.  Ya gotta take off the head
_and_ the oil pan to replace it.  I'd get a second opinion before
plowing in.  If you have it done at a shop, might as well do a full
overhaul.
                        A. B. Bonds