RE: Pardon the blasphemy

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Pardon the blasphemy
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 23:36:05 -0600
>Ben Russet wrote:
>
>>I guess you'll all figure out I'm not a purist after this:
>>
>>I was just wondering if anybody had figured out a way of making MGA
>> doors lockable. I wonder if it would be possible to fabricate a set of
>> doors to MGA spec that have locks in them. Any ideas / comments /
>> suggestions?
>
>Phil Bates replied:
>
>> Here's a suggestion - buy MGA coupe doors - which have locks, and
>> alter them to be more like roadster doors.  I.E. knock off the window
>> frames and the window frame ridge.
>
>Ummmm ... am I missing something?  What is the point of installing
>locks on the doors of an MGA roadster?  IOW, how are locks going to
>stop someone when you have side curtains and a canvass hood?  I
>for one don't even see the benefit of locking the doors on an MGB
>roadster ... all that will get you is  slash hood.
>
>Pursit Rant ON ...
>
>If ya want locks ... buy an MG that came with them (MGA Coupe/MGB)
>... don't go cutting up a good set of MGA Coupe doors ... arrrrrrrrrgh.
>
>... Pursit Rant OFF.

I agree with you!  Why would you want locks on any open car???  But the guy
said he wanted locks, so I offered up what looked like the most reasonable
solution.  Looking at the pictures, it ought to be not too difficult to do,
but the striker area looks a bit different - ah must be to accomodate the
locks, huh?

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB