On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Art Pfenninger wrote:
=%O It does have hydrofluoric acid in it but less than.05% it is sold
=%Oas being safe for chrome wire wheels.
The "strength" of the hydroflouric acid isn't the toxicity problem. The
problem with HF acid is that it freely (more or less) passes through your
skin and then reacts with cellular Calcium, making it unavailable to your
body's biochemistry. You die in horrible agony if you get too much of this
stuff. I'd stay away, far away, from anything with HF in it.
I've used it a few times a year for
=%Oa number of years without any problems. Thanks for the tip though I'll
=%Okeep it in mind when buying a new supply.
=%OOn Sun, 23 Nov 1997 RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:
=%O> I am not sure just what the Turtle Wax product is made with, but it could
=%O> a rather strong acid (maybe hydrofloric). If this is the case (check the
=%O> label), be sure to rinse with a high pH alkaline cleaner to neutralize the
=%O> residual acid. Just rising with water is not good enough (the pH of acids
=%O> stay quite low even when dilute with lots of water).
"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"
John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
3205 BioSciences II
Irvine, CA 92697-3900