Re: Startup oil pressure and wear

To: jbradley@sun.lssu.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Startup oil pressure and wear
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 13:01:52 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-30 12:49:32 EST, jbradley@sun.lssu.edu writes:

> If a good deal of wear occurs during start up, has anyone tried
>  pressurizing the oil system before starting?  Moroso oil accumulators have
>  been available for several years. Has anyone tried one on their car? The
>  system uses a pressure tank and is connected to the engine block oil
>  system. It uses compressed air to supply oil pressure before starting. The
>  system has been used on race cars for several years. Available from Summit
>  Racing Equipment and other suppliers. - Comments?

To answer your question, no, I have never tried it, but it sounds like a good
idea. Evidently, Summit thinks it is a good idea also, because they now offer
a kit to do just that, but instead of using an accumulator, which can leak
off in time (this could be a real problem with our cars for those of us who
don't drive them on a daily basis), their new kit has an electric pump to
pressurize the system before startng. I haven't actually seen one in the
flesh, but from the pictures, the pump is similar in size and shape to an
electric fuel pump. Cost for the kit, I believe, is around $400! If anyone is
interested, I will get out my Summit catalog and provide more details.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74