RE: MG/Grammar

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mowogmg@pil.net
Subject: RE: MG/Grammar
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:46:03 -0400
>OK, I have a really stupid question...
>
>my English teacher was having a cow (or a Triumph) about me using "an MG"
>in a sentence I wrote.  I don't think I have ever seen "a MG" in my life,
>it just sounds dumb.  My teacher does have a point, but anyone know why we
>do this?

The Council of Biology Editors Manual for Authors, Editors, and Publishers
(6th Ed., 1997) states that "a" is used before consonant _sounds_ and "an"
is used before vowel _sounds_ (my emphasis).

This is the most current grammar guide I have.

Clearly the "M" of "MG" begins with a vowel sound, making the use of "an"
correct in both speech and print.

Your teacher may want to update her reference guides.

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis