Re: getting frustrated

To: lottala@mail.auburn.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: getting frustrated
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 21:48:04 EST
In a message dated 98-01-04 18:54:46 EST, lottala@mail.auburn.edu writes:

> The poor LBC is choking to death every time I accelerate (at least thats
>  what it sounds like). The car idles and will rev smoothly while sitting
>  still without any missing, spitting, backfiring, or faultering. Once in
>  gear and the car starts to move, however, it coughs and spits and stumbles
>  horribly until I stop accelerating and hold the RPMs steady (while it is
>  stumbling, the alternator light is blinking in sync with the sputtering and
>  the radio is turning off and on...also in sync.

Alan,

Try this. Disconnect the white wire from the plus terminal of the coil. Tape
the end, and place it where it can't come in contact with anything. Run a
jumper directly from the positive post of the battery to the plus terminal of
the coil. Start the car, run it and accelerate, and see if the problem doesn't
go away. I have a feeling it will. Don't leave the coil connected this way for
long, with the car not running. As long as the car is running, you can leave
it connected, but you will have to remove the jumper to shut off the engine.

What this does is isolate the ignition system from the rest of the car
electricals. If the problem goes away, then you know that the problem is in
the wiring - somewhere around the ignition switch, most likely - and you can
narrow your search. If the problem persists, then it is most likely a
mechanical problem.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74