Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>, "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:34:14 -0500
At 07:37 PM 1/16/98 -0000, Phil Raby wrote:

>Leaded petrol (Gasoline to Yanks) =AD which some older MGs require - is=
 being phased out in the UK in 2000. This will have a serious effect on=
 classic car owners.

>I know that the USA did this some years ago, how are people managing?

Hardened valve guides.  Mainly changes to the valve train, as this is the=
 main effect, besides the obvious loss of ping-retarding characteristics=
 from leaded fuel.  I think the exhaust valves are also a different compound=
 than standard.  I've heard one way of getting around rebuilding the head,=
 is simply using Marvel Mystery Oil, or other applicable light oil.  This=
 will protect the valve train.

>Also, what type of petrol is available in the US now? In England we have=
 Four Star (98 Octane leaded), Super Unleaded (98 octane) and Unleaded (95=
 Octane). Super Unleaded is required for some performance cars but is not=
 readily available anymore because of scares about its benzine content.

Gasoline in the southeastern US is available in 87, 89, and either 92 or 91=
 octane ratings, but I'm not sure if these numbers are valid for comparison=
 with Euro octane numbers.  I think we may use RON + ???/2.  Basically an=
 average of the two standards, while you guys use only one rating.  Could=
 someone on the list enlighten further?

I am not certain about the benzene concentration in your Super Unleaded, but=
 realistically, I would not worry too much.  In some of my OSHA(safety and=
 health regulatory agency here in US) 40-hour training for environmental=
 workers, I remember getting an instrument out and sticking this into the=
 gas tank of my MGB.  It basically pegged the meter as far as benzene is=
 concerned.  The concentration of benzene, while quite high, isn't enough to=
 cause problems, unless you are a gas station attendant and are exposed to=
 fumes for lengthy times(years).

I would imagine the biggest impact to your country might be the expense of=
 using gasoline with more additives to raise octane.  I imagine this gas=
 would be more expensive.

But then I look at the 92 octane premium gas here in Atlanta, GA for=
 $1.13/gallon, and I wonder how cheap it really is to make. =20

I think the main reason for cheap gas here is the fact that Atlantans=
 combined put over 1,000,000 miles(1.6 Million km) on the roads each day. =
 More than any other city in America and possibly the world.  Pathetic!

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.   =20