Re: Battery Drain???

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Battery Drain???
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:34:33 -0800 (PST) (22:34 UT)
Tintin is my daily driver, 3 miles to work each way.  I simply keep an
eye on things.  When I replace components like the generator or starter,
I try to not skimp.  I replace it with new or a professional rebuild.
When I work on the wheels, I check the brakes.  When I check the brakes,
I peel back the wheel cylinder cups to check for leakage.  Rather than
rebuilding the brake cylinders (unless funds are REALLY short and the
cylinder is PERFECT inside) I replace them.
I keep an eye on what's under the hood and try to anticipate problem
areas.  Last time I got stranded was about five years ago.  I ran out of
gas.  I was running on the last few drops and...  GUESS WHAT?  The guage
has gotten a little inaccurate over the years.  It showed a little bit
when there really wasn't.
Tintin has been my daily driver since 1972.  I've been stranded twice.
Once was a hairline crack in the distributor rotor that I could have
fixed with my girlfriend's nail polish, had I been able to diagnose it,
and the other was out-of-gas.
I've had to do roadside repairs many times, but I was always able to
get going again after tapping on the fuel pump, rocking the car to get
the starter pinion out of the flywheel, coasting to a stop in front of
a car dealer and replacing the ruptured fuel line (pure luck!), resetting
the points, etc.
The trick is to keep a manual and a tool kit and some spares on board,
and read this list to find out what to anticipate!
Good luck, have fun!!!!

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*