Still not starting... more info

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Still not starting... more info
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 02:18:36 -0500
Spent another "cycle" trying to start the 1970B, with
a cycle defined as how long I can work and crank before
my battery dies.

  Thanks to all who emailed suggestions. I checked out
everything and unfortunately it all seemed fine. I'd much
rather be admitting a stupid mistake and have a running
car. :>

  When I did try the plugs 180 degrees out (swap 4-1 and 3-2)
the engine backfired a few times, scaring me and the MG Midget
parked behind the B. Oh well, there is at least some life.

  One potential problem, perhaps. Whenever I lift the piston
on the front carb and jiggle it, I can see the meniskis (sp) on
the fuel in the jet. In simpler terms that I can spell, I can
jiggle the piston in the front carb and see the fuel licking
the needle as if the fuel level was absolutely right at the
lip of the jet. Not so in the back carb, although the needle
seems wet and smells of gas, and the float bowl is full.

  Is it possible the float level in the front carb is set wrong
so that the fuel level is too high in the jet, causing it
to flood? Or, that is correct and the back carb has the fuel
too low?

  If it is a fuel problem it has to be too much, because I used
a whole can of quickstart and didn't get a pop. So it's not
simply "great spark, no fuel". Most of my engine experience is
with snowmobiles, where quickstart is near-essential because of
-30 temperatures, pull start engines, and finite human endurance.

  Summary from last message, ignition makes spark, timing
seems correct, rotor alignment seems to go where my thumb says
compression is, valve train is moving, tried two distributors,
two coils and two sets of plugs. When the wires were WRONG, I
got some popping and backfiring, when the wires were correct I
got basically nothing.

  Although, today it seemed a little more than nothing. It seemed
to be trying to start. I didn't hear distinct firings but while
cranking there seemed to be patches where the cranking speed would
take off as if the engine was starting to run, but it would never
disengage the starter or anything truly obvious. Perhaps occasionally
a cylinder or two was firing weakly?

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada