Re: "Auto Starter"

To: DANMAS@aol.com, Nory@webtv.net, gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: "Auto Starter"
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 14:26:00 -0500
I haven't seen these miracle jumper cables.  I have used a tricle charger
that plugs into my cigarette lighter for battery maintenance, and that
works fine, but as Dan points out, this is low amperage.

Two points that may be worth mentioning:  The 8-15 amp rating is for
continuous use.  Starters don't (o.k. shouldn't) be run for long periods.
Also, unless your battery is completely dead, only a portion of the
required amperage is coming from the cables, there is still a lot of
current sourcing capability in a patially discharged battery, just not
enough to spin the starter often times.

That said, I still would be a little worried about taxing an LBC's older
wiring to this kind of load!

Regards,

Chris