Re: Re2: Wire Woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re2: Wire Woes
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 10:00:41 -0800
Joseph Cianciotti wrote:

> Based on your response, my question is that if I'd like to add halogen
> headlamps at some future date, will I need to change the wiring as you
> indicate?  If so I'll stick with the old sealed beams.  (One of them is
> still a Lucas!)

Joseph:
        John's suggestion for putting relays in the headlight circuit
will create a heavier duty power path, but there are drawbacks involving
complexity and relay life span.  I have used such a system in both an
old American car and in Pro-rally cars with good results.  This note is
to rest your mind about using halogen headlights.  I have run halogen
headlamps on various MGs for many years with no wiring problems.  The
components of the wiring system, if in good condition, will easily
handle the load with no modifications.  If there is a high resistance
connection in the circuit you will have problems even with the stock
headlamps.  My recomendation is to fix the problem, not to re-engineer.
 Typical high resistance problems occur in the headlamp and high/low
beam switch contacts.  The bullet connectors and ground points also can
create problems.  In "driver" MG restorations I always replace the
headlamp switch, check and clean the high/low beam switch and replace
all the bullet connector sleeves.  Simple, cheap and easy.  If the high
beams are used for an extended time with an old corroded high/low switch
the plastic supporting the contacts will melt.  Installing a relay in
the high beam only circuit will prevent this if you intend long distance
driving.
        On that note.  I always replace the fuse block on the cars as a
matter of course.  Corrosion builds up between the riveted connector
plates.  This can not be cleaned and will cause high resistance
connections that are a bear to track down.
        I have owned and driven MGBs as primary transportation in
Colorado year round for many years.  I have had more problems with
Japanese and American electrics than I have British.

regards   Kelvin.