Re: coil question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: coil question
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 11:34:15 -0800
Dave Streeter wrote:

> I'm thinking of using a Lucas sport high output coil in my 80 B. The
> info in the catalogs tells me that the ballast resistor must be
> removed.  Where do I find this beast? I have the standard electronic
> ignition mounted to the fenderwell but I don't see anything between the
> existing coil and the electronic ignition box. Is it inside? What does
> it look like? Any help will be greatly appreciated

        If the car is a 72 onward MG it is set up for a 6 volt coil.  It
will either have a ballast resistor, which is a white block approx 2 ins
long close to the coil, or a length of resistive wire built into the
wiring harness.  Most of the B's I have seen have the resistive wire and
no external resistor.  The DLB105 sports coil must be hooked up to 12
volts.  Looking at the wiring diagram for the 80 MGB there is a
resistive wire indicated.  There are two white/grn trace wires connected
to the + side of the coil.  One comes from the starter solenoid and is
the bypass feed.  The other is the 6 volt feed from the resistive wire
circuit.  There is a white wire that feeds the distributer amplifier.
This is a 12 volt feed wire suitable for hooking up to the coil +
connection.  Plug and chug.  It is not necessary to disconnect any of
the other wires.

Hope this helps.

Kelvin.  I am spelunking the wiring prior to modifications for V8 hood.