Re: Electronic ignition...again

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electronic ignition...again
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 00:29:33 -0500
You have a point, Bill. Probably two in your car, too. But, if points are
just a trigger mechanism, then going from mechanical to solid state
actually _decreases_ complexity. Fewer moving parts, no wear, no changing
dwell, no maintenance. The only questions that remain are cost and
durability (Not the same as reliability. The part could be 100% reliable,
ie dwell not changing, right up to the second it fails). Also, it depends
on what you consider complex. You may view a system such as points and
condensor as being 'not complex' because you understand it well in theory
(how it works) and in practice (what it takes to keep it working).  I think
it's complex because I have an inkling of how it works, and though I know
what it takes to keep it working, I think any system that needs to be set,
run in, re-set, then re-set again with changining weather or wear, is in
fact complex. And, with solid state triggers available, possibly
_needlessly_ complex. For me.

I've just conducted a two-evening survey of scores of discussions (lbc,
american iron, japanese car lists, etc) on the web concerning the Crane
Cams XR-700 and the Pertronix Ignitor. It is very important to consider the
difference between the two. The Ignitor is simply a Hall effect trigger.
The Crane is a capacitive discharge ignition module that uses an optical
trigger. Though I am sure it happens, I could not find an instance of the
Ignitor failing. There were several instances of the Crane failing. These
fell into two broad categories: the CD module fails due to vibration, heat,
or just broken right out of the box; or, the opto sensor fails due to
dirt/oil obstructions of the optical sensor or poor initial installation
(not necessarily the fault of the installer!). Failure of the opto trigger
was by far the greatest problem. It seems as though you're more or less
buying the CD module and they throw in the cheapest trigger possible. Might
be better to stick with the points as trigger for the CD. Would cut point
wear (passing less current, I think) to nothing, and dwell would be less
critical.

However, it seems that if you're willing to pony up the bucks for an
Ignitor ($60), then this system is the way to go. Installation is
road-reversible, so one could keep the old points and condensor in the
spares bag in case the unit failed. A sport coil ($29) was also mentioned
in many posts as being a good idea.

Not a flame, just my take on the topic.

Jeff

>Gentle people,
>
>I can't stand itany longer.  Haven't you folks figured out that you're
>adding an unnecessary complexity to these cars by installing an
>electronic ignition?  If you would take the money that you spend on
>these things and apply it to a rehab of your original distributor,
>wouldn't you be ahead, considering both economics and performance?
>
>Standing by for flames from the offended parties....
>
>- --
>*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page

Jeff Boatright
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis
"Seeing the Future in a Very Tiny Way"