Transmission Questions

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Transmission Questions
From: Christopher Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:32:38 -0500
My B is fitted with a 4-synchro O.D. tranny, which was rebuilt last =
year.  It seems that the gears in the tranny have a ceramic like coating =
on the taper that the synchro ring rides on.  The bond between the =
coating and the 2nd gear failed, and the coating fell of, rendering the =
synchro useless.  This occured very suddenly, one gearchange was fine, =
the next was accomapnied by a crunch of gears, all of which resulted in =
the re-build, after which everything seemed fine for several months.

This spring, when I returned the car to the road after winter storage, I =
noted that the 3rd gear synchro seems to be acting up.  It was fine when =
the car was put into storage.  All new synchros were fitted during the =
rebuild. =20

I have noted that the tranny oil level is down a bit, below the low =
level mark - I don't know how much down this mark signifies.  The =
mechanic who did the work - only does Brit Cars by the way, uses 90 =
weight gear oil in all trannies, and this is what he filled my box with. =
 Also, when I drove the car, the temperature was quite a bit lower than =
in the summer when the car gets most of its use.

What is the list wisdom on 90 weight in the trans?  Could this account =
for my problem?  I know that 20W-50 is the normally reccomended fluid.  =
How about the low oil level?  Anyone have a feel for how low the =
transmission is if the oil drops below the low mark on the dipstick?

Best Regards,

Chris Delling