RE: Cyl Head

To: "'Phil Raby'" <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>,
Subject: RE: Cyl Head
From: Christopher Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:18:04 -0500
Hello Philip-

Actually, leaded fuel continued to be available in the U.S. until the =
early 1980's - don't remember the year of actual phase out.  Beginning =
in 1975, all cars sold in the U.S. were to be made unleaded fuel only, =
but leaded fuel was still available. =20

Many here in the States went to extremes to avoid using unleaded, =
primarily due to it's higher cost when first introduced.  To prevent one =
from adding leaded fuel to a car requiring leaded fuel, the filler neck =
for the fuel tank had a reduced diameter opening - too small for leaded =
fuel pump handles.  Many either crudely cut larger openings into the =
filler neck, or used any variety of funnel type devices to adapt the =
larger leaded fuel spout to fit into the unleaded filler neck.  This was =
a very common "modification" as well as the fitting of a catalytic =
converter "test pipe".  This was a section of straight pipe, shaped to =
mimmick the inlet/outlet arrangement of standard catalytic converters.  =
These were sold under the premise that they would be "temporarily" =
mounted in place of the cat, to verify whether the cat was causing too =
much back pressure due to clogging.

Interestingly enough, the higher cost of unleaded fuel was simply =
marketing.  Since lead is actually a fuel additive, the actual cost to =
produce unleaded is less.  As more and more of the petrol suppliers =
stopped carrying leaded fuel, the few remaining companies that continued =
to offer it could command a premium price for it.

Regards,

Chris Delling