Transmissions

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Transmissions
From: Christopher Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 12:02:10 -0500
Thanks to all that have responded on my post regarding problems with my =
rebuilt transmission.

I am now trying to find a definitive answer to the following:

Reviewing Moss Motors catalog, I see listings for 3 & 4 synchro =
gearboxes.  My early 4-synchro box has steel synchro rings (as opposed =
to bronze).  Since the catalog only shows one synchro type, I am =
assuming that ALL 4 synchro MGB transmissions have the steel synchros.

On the cone taper of the gear, a coating/surface treatment of some type =
is present.  It is several thousanths of an inch thick.  Does anyone =
know what the coating is?  I have heard that various opinions stating =
that it was made of different materials, and many that I have spoken =
with were not even aware of it's presence.  Furthermore, can anyone =
offer an explanation of what would cause this coating to delaminate from =
the gear.  Again several have offered opinions, and some contradict =
others.

I spoke with the mechanic who did the work previously, and he has =
indicated that he will stand behind his work.  He, and I are both a =
little leary however, that he will tear everything apart, replace the =
now defective 3rd gear, reassemble, to have 1st or 4th go away 6 months =
down the road.  At the same time, neither of us want to pay to replace =
gears that don't need to be replaced.

Regards,

Chris Delling