Help! Yet another Brake Question.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Help! Yet another Brake Question.
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 98 15:18:38 +0200
Hi fellow MG listers,

Regarding my 1970 MGB, Roadster, tube-type rear axle.

I needed to replace the Oil Seal on the R.H. rear side.
I decided, also to replace the brake cylinder at the same time because it
didn't look to good and this car only has a single-circuit brake system so
it is very critical from a safety standpoint of view.

After trying VERY, VERY, VERY  hard, I finally found a supplier who was
willing to sell me genuine Lockheed parts
(instead of imitation. I bought, previously, three imitation cylinders. Two
of them were leaking, three of them had the wrong grade steel Clip from
Hell, two of them had the Clip from Hell retaining groove in the wrong
place. Three of them had the locating pin in the wrong place.  So, no more
imitation brake parts for me. I definitely prefer to pay a bit more for
genuine Lockheed parts).

Please can someone check if the piston diameter is OK?
The new ones have 20 mm pistons, the old ones (imitation) had 19.05 mm, that
is 3/4 inch. (the difference is 10 percent in effective area).

What diameter is correct for my car?
The new cylinders came with the Lockheed part number LW 11575
(BL part # is  GWC 1103) but the boxes had been "pre-opened" so I'm not 100
percent sure....

BTW  I found that it is much easier to fit the Clip from Hell as long as the
brake anchor plate is still removed from the car. Use large pliers and
remove the bleeding screw. Piece of cake...

Bert

"To trust is OK, to check is better"  - V.I. Lenin.