Re: restoration steps

To: "Brent & Susan Laube" <laubebs@softdisk.com>
Subject: Re: restoration steps
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:40:08 -0500
FWIW Everyone has their own opinion, and there is surely more than one
approach.  These are just some ideas. I assume that no steps were taken to
prepare the car for a three year storage.  What I suggest is based on this
assumption.  Curiosity would get the better of me and I would really want
to know something about the engine before I removed it.  If it has oil in
it, I would drain it out and dispose of it properly, ditto any fuel and
radiator fluids.  I would remove the valve cover, re-torque the head,
adjust the valves and put the valve cover back on.  The book says to use a
good brand of 20/50 motor oil, after three years I think I would start with
10/40.  Get a good battery in her, take out the plugs and after you
re-place the oil, turn it over and see if you can get oil pressure.  I
would pour a little oil over the rocker arm assembly, and squirt just a
little over each cylinder.  DO NOT OVER-HEAT THE STARTER!!!!!!!  If you
don't get some kind of pressure in the first three to five minutes go ahead
and pull it out and tear it down.  If you do get oil presssure, just for
fun, do a compression test.  If you know someone, perhaps a drag racing
friend, see if you can get them to do a cylinder leak down test for you.
At this point you will have found out everything you can without going
inside the engine.  Your next problem is the fuel system.  If it has had
fuel in it for three years you have a problem.  Get a good book and
re-build kits and go through the carbs.  If you have access to compressed
air, undo the fuel line from the tank and the carbs. and blow out the line.
 Note, if there isn't a filter between the tank and the carbs. put one in.
As for the tank, in this area there are still some radiator shops that will
boil out a tank and coat it if necessary.  The EPA gives these people a bad
time, so sometimes it is difficult to find a place that will do it.  The
alternative is to buy a new tank.  Be sure to remove the fuel gauge sending
unit if you take it to someone.   I would take the radiator and have it
cleaned at the same time.  Be sure to drain the gear box and the
differential and re-fill with the proper lubricant.  The clutch and brake
hydraulics should keep you busy for a while.  At least flush them with
Castrol, Girling or Lockheed brake fluid.  Plan on re-placing hoses and
belts.  Let me know if I can help further.

        Fisher