Re: Alternator and Airpump follies

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Alternator and Airpump follies
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:15:07 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Mike,

"Never Ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Mike Lishego wrote:

> I had a friend with a Chevy Luv truck that did that same funny backfire
> thing.  We didn't know why, but we chalked it up to bad vacuum hose
> routing.  Do you have stock emissions plumbing, or was it replaced at some
> time?

AFAIK, it is indeed stock. Could the backfire be due to too much air being
pumped into the exhaust manifold while there is unburned fuel to explode
there? WOuld a bad "gulp" valve be the source of my former problem? At any
rate, now that I can lawfully get rid of the smog crap (Cali exempted my
'70 this year for ever YIPPEEE!), I will pack it up in a box and store it
someplace in the garage.

BTW, our fix was the same as yours - pull it all off!